A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday in The Week of The 6th Sunday of Easter (05/20/09)

I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father.
--John 15:15

Upon first hearing, it was a shock. But it made sense. A wise, old professor of mine declared, "Few people have a friend anymore -- as in you and me. Instead, they have some third thing called a 'relationship.'"

Relationships are linear. A lives in relation to B. The relationship is the line of connection. And there are a host of adjectives and so forth that precede the word. Consider the following:


  • Good relationship
  • Working relationship
  • Dysfunctional relationship
  • Abusive relationship

With relationships, there is a distance -- be it emotional or even geographical -- between point A and B. That distance allows for periodic assessment.

But friendship is different than relationship. Friendship is just friendship. You're not out to assess a person you have a friendship with. You enjoy their company; it comes naturally.

We Christians sometimes talk of having a "relationship" with God. God is in heaven (point A); we are on earth (point B), and nary the twain the shall meet.

The preferred word of Jesus, however, is friendship: I have called you friends, He says. He has made known everything to us that He heard from His Father. And there is no safe, "relational" distance either. He says, Lo, I am with you always to the very end of the age.

The title of the hymn gets it right: What a Friend We Have In Jesus!

PD

No comments:

Post a Comment