A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday in The Week of The 5th Sunday of Easter (05/11/09)

God abides in those who confess that Jesus is the Son of God, and they abide in God.
--1 John 4:15


Word came this morning that a dear friend had died. An extended battle with cancer had come to an end. She fought it honestly and with gusto. She served a mighty strong cup of coffee (which is just the way I like it), and it was always ready for me when I arrived. She had a piano. On my first visit, I noticed the sheet music for the song "Memory" from the musical Cats. I sat down and fired it off as best I could.

There was no question of her faith in God. There was more than enough evidence of her regular confession of Jesus as the Son of God. This means, according to our Bible verse above, that God abides in her and she abides in God. Her death does not change that. It only makes it all the more gloriously clear to her -- that she is in God and God is in her.


Perhaps the Lord wanted a good barista and enjoys some strong coffee as well! May choirs of angels greet her on the far side of Jordan!


PD

No comments:

Post a Comment