A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Friday, May 29, 2009

Thursday in The Week of The 7th Sunday of Easter (05/28/09)

They are like trees planted by streams of water, which yield their fruit in its season, and their leaves do not wither. In all that they do, they prosper.
--Psalm 1:3


A dear friend died today after a long and full life. Surrounded by family and friends, the Lord called him home. Yes, there were tears. But there was also much laughter and rejoicing that we have the blessing of knowing the man and also the promise that we'll be reunited some day.


My friend was a biologist. In fact, he taught biology -- to those who taught biology! The psalm appointed for this week -- Psalm 1 -- fits him perfectly. He was like that tree planted by streams of water; he yielded fruit in its season; his leaves did not wither. He prospered in what he did, and his family, friends, and loved ones are living proof of it.

Was he perfect? Absolutely not -- and he would be the first to tell you. What he had going for him was a perfect Lord whose love animated his life and, at the end, carried him home. And so we pray:


Lord, let at last Thine angels come,
To Abr'ham's bosom bear me home,
That I may die unfearing;
And in its narrow chamber keep
My body safe in peaceful sleep
Until Thy reappearing.
And then from death awaken me,
That these mine eyes with joy may see,
O Son of God, Thy glorious face,
My Savior and my fount of grace.
Lord Jesus Christ, my prayer attend, my prayer attend,
And I will praise Thee without end.
Amen.
PD

No comments:

Post a Comment