A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tuesday in The Week of The 6th Sunday of Easter (05/19/09)

As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.
--John 15:9


Saint John is big on love, and we get lots of love talk in the New Testament and Holy Gospel readings for this week (1 John 5:1-6 and John 15:9-17, respectively).


Love is one of those words that lends itself well to word association games. Say love. What comes to mind? The first thing in my mind was the line from that Beatles song, "All you need is love." Years ago, Tina Turner queried, "What's love got to do with it? What's love but a second-hand emotion?" Then there's the old favorite: "L is for the way you look at me; O is for the only one I see; V is very, very extraordinary; E is even more than anyone that you adore could love."


Sure, there is romantic love; we definitely can be hurt in love, and the argument that we need love is a sound one.


Jesus bids us to abide in His love. Abide is one of those words that has fallen out of usage, and that's unfortunate. Simply put, abide means to stick around. Not long ago, I was offered a sample of cheese at a grocery store. I told the clerk, "I love it." But I didn't take the next step and buy a half pound. I smiled and walked away. Apparently, I was content to sample the cheese.


Some folks "sample" the love of God. They may smile, but then they walk away. They're content with a "taste" of it, but it won't be their standard fare.


For Christians, the love of God -- as it is made known in the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ -- is our standard fare. We stick with it. We abide in it.


PD

No comments:

Post a Comment