A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Friday, March 27, 2009

Friday in The Week of the 4th Sunday in Lent (03/27/09)

Now there was a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews. He came to Jesus by night and said to him, "Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God; for no one can do these signs that ytou do apart from the presence of God."
--John 3:1-2
The third chapter of John's gospel features quite an exchange between Jesus and a man, a Pharisee, named Nicodemus. Interestingly, the conversation took place at night. It was "under the cover darkness," we might say.
Less than a year ago, I had an experience called clinical pastoral education. I served as a chaplain in a children's hospital. On overnight stays, I would make rounds like doctors do. The visits would begin on the intensive care unit. On countless Saturday evenings, I would take the elevator up to the 12th floor and drop in on the family waiting room. The lighting was soft, and a look out the bank of windows offered panoramic view of the city at night. I had many conversations in that room -- some were sad; others were nervous; and, yes, some were joyful. I called that waiting area the "Nicodemus room" and not without reason; for I truly believe that I met Jesus in the faces and lives of His people who were hurting.
The sun might not have gone down yet, but several good questions can be asked: where will we meet Jesus today? What will we learn? What will we say?
PD

No comments:

Post a Comment