A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Saturday, March 28, 2009

5th Sunday in Lent (03/29/09)

Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation: O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man.
--Psalm 43:1



Long ago, the 5th Sunday in Lent was called Judica. This Latin term means "judge", and its use in the Christian calendar derives from Psalm 43:1.

Apparently, things were coming down to the wire for the author of this psalm. It was crunch time; the pressure was intense, and the stakes were sky high. Instead of sitting around and waiting for the worst with an attitude of weak resignation, the psalmist throws caution to the wind and gets aggresssive. The time for polite, prayerful "diplomacy" was long gone. The demand was about to be made and the ultimatum delivered: God, You be my judge AND my defense attorney AND my deliverer!

This is prayer that has obviously done its calisthenics. It's a rugged, muscular plea straight from the pages of God's Word. I'd like to think that it captures what Jesus was thinking as He looked forward to going to Jerusalem and on to His passion, death, and resurrection.

The season of Lent, which Christians are observing the world over, is a great time for faith to do its calisthenics. We are free to pray boldly, ruggedly, muscularly. God will see us through!

PD

No comments:

Post a Comment