A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Errata

Dear Friends...

Here's a a smidge -- maybe more than a smidge! -- of this, that, and the other thing.  First off, thanks to BL Jordan for gracing the First Presbyterian pulpit this past Sunday.  I've known BL and her husband Ray for nearly seven years, and they're the kind of people that personify that "salt" and "light" of which our Lord spoke.

Now, the reason for my absence was,essentially, a trip to the annual MoRanch Men's Conference in the Texas hill country.  While there, this past Saturday, I gave my "Bucket List" workshop, and we had roughly 25% of the over 400 participants come to the MoRanch "Cow Barn" to listen to me lapse into my Jack Nicholson imitation!  The hour included clips from the movie that put a lump in one's throat.  (If you don't get a lump, you may not have a throat!) Nicholson gave the "money" line in the movie:  "He saved my life.  And he knew it before I did."  Is that not what the Christian says of Jesus? 

A week from today I ventured to the restaurant of my friend, Curtis Wells, in Roanoke.  The MoRanch adventure started there with a gourmet breakfast.  (The Classic Cafe is the restaurant.)  Then I rode down to "The Bunkhouse" at Wenmoh's ranch with Curtis in his Jaguar, and it was great to renew that great friendship with robust conversation.  At Wenmoh's, I got hearty briefings on the various goings on in the lives of old friends from my St. Andrew days.  We sent swimming, had our fill of barbeque, and enjoyed cigars under the stars.

On Friday, we headed for MoRanch.  I rode with Mark Replogle.  We stopped at a winery or two -- only to be disappointed that the "Texas" wine was not from Texas grapes.  Fear not, I drank vitamin water and lemonade!  Then we lunched at Altdorf's (a German biergarten-esque type restaurant) in Fredericksburg. 

Arriving at Wenmoh's, I enjoyed the keynote address by the Rev. Dr. Tom Long (rated one of the top ten preachers in the country) on the question of evil in the world.  A second session offered his thoughts on how Christianity is losing its "vocabulary".  An unexpected and pleasant  surprise was the talk given, on Saturday night, by Tim Brown.  Brown, a winner of the coveted Heisman trophy at Notre Dame, went on to a stellar career with the Oakland Raiders.  You could have heard a pin drop when he talked about his friend, Junior Seau, who took his own life.    All things considered, these haven't been easy days for the NFL -- what with Seau's death and the ongoing problems with the Saints organization.  Late at night, a number of us went out to "The Labyrinth" at MoRanch and walked its path.  It was an interesting experience.  Walking a labyrinth, I thought, was sort of an energetic way of praying a rosary -- or something like that.  Instead, I felt as though it illustrated the idea of human life being a journey (of some sort).  Once I turned "toward home" (the middle of the labyrinth where the path ends), I ran and skidded into.  When the day of my death comes, that's the way I want to "go out".  I want to be able to meet my judge/redeemer, with skidmarks on my knees, and say:  "Lord, that was quite a ride!" 

Oh, and before I forget, I got a speeding ticket leaving MoRanch on Sunday morning.  I think I was in a hurry to get home or something.  I don't mind a weekend of  "male bonding", but there was no golf and I missed my wife, home, and church (that is, you guys)!  Speaking of golf, I was thrilled that Rickie Fowler won at Quail Hollow.  Along with Bubba Watson and others, he lives his Christian faith on the very public "stage" of the PGA tour. 

On Monday, my LA Fitness trainer put me through the ringer with an intense upper-body workout (my punishment, apparently, for being out of town).  Then, on Tuesday, I was honored to deliver the invocation at the annual Salvation Army luncheon at Oakmont Country Club.  They put your scribe at the VIP table -- always a risky proposition!  But I behaved, and I enjoyed chatting with the Mayor Mark Burroughs of Denton and Bill Lively.  Bill headed up the fund-raising committee for the 2011 Super Bowl at Cowboys stadium. 

Now, safely ensconsed behind my laptop in the office, I'm looking forward to being with you Sunday.  It will be a banner day because we are receiving new members -- and the worship will include TWO baptisms! 

The season of Easter just keeps crackling along with messages and activities that strengthen the human spirit by the power of the Holy Spirit (which is the Spirit of the risen Jesus Christ).  See you Sunday -- or online.

Your Friend,

Paul R. Dunklau

No comments:

Post a Comment