A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Friday, February 3, 2012

A Generous Dose of Psalm 62

Text: Psalm 62:5-12
Theme: “A Generous Dose of Psalm 62”
3rd Sunday after the Epiphany
January 22, 2012
First Presbyterian Church
Denton, Texas
Rev. Paul R. Dunklau

IN THE NAME OF JESUS

5 Yes, my soul, find rest in God;
my hope comes from him.
6 Truly he is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
7 My salvation and my honor depend on God[c];
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
8 Trust in him at all times, you people;
pour out your hearts to him,
for God is our refuge.
9 Surely the lowborn are but a breath,
the highborn are but a lie.
If weighed on a balance, they are nothing;
together they are only a breath.
10 Do not trust in extortion
or put vain hope in stolen goods;
though your riches increase,
do not set your heart on them.
11 One thing God has spoken,
two things I have heard:
“Power belongs to you, God,
12 and with you, Lord, is unfailing love”;
and, “You reward everyone
according to what they have done.”


Although I haven’t heard the final tally, I can tell you that the Men of the Church garage sale yesterday here at First Presbyterian was a smashing success. From 8:00 AM on, we had a steady influx of people at Erwin Hall. They came in empty-handed and came out with arms loaded. Certain shoppers needed the assistance of some of our more able-bodied folk to hall out their furniture purchases. Pizza was brought in. Our men of the church, and our women, and our children, and the staff of Denton Christian Preschool all pitched in to lend a helping hand to DCPS which is called “The School that Love Built.” It certainly lived up to its name yesterday. Thanks to all of you who provided items – clothing, trinkets, electronics, bric-a-brac, what-have-you – to help generate funds for a worthy organization. I have to tell you that I picked up three or four really nice silk ties at a ridiculously low price. I’ve got one on this morning! At one point, one of our members indicated to me that there was this hat for sale. It wasn’t the prettiest hat. In fact, it was rather gaudy. My friend suggested that it wouldn’t sell. But then, within minutes, the hat is at the check-out line with a smiling new owner. As it is said, “One person’s trash can be another person’s treasure.”



Another friend and member remarked to me that events like these are good to see – and not necessarily because of the money that is generated. The point was that when folks see activity going on (the signs include cars driving in, a full parking lot, and people mulling about), an impression is made. Without necessarily putting it into words, folks note that neat things are “going on” at First Presbyterian Church – good things, worthwhile things. Throw in the fun and the conversation and the laughter that people witnessed among our membership, and it all sets forth something that other folks might just want to be a part of. So hats off and three cheers for First Presbyterian Church!



Every Sunday is special because it’s an anniversary of the greatest Sunday of them all when Christ the crucified rose from the dead in the greatest victory of all. Next Sunday, January 29th, however, is significant because, in worship, we will recognize the officers of our congregation. We’ll have opportunity to thank those who complete their term of service, and we’ll ordain and install new elders and deacons to help lead this wonderful church into the future.



This coming Saturday, I’ll host a retreat for our current and about-to-be ordained and/or installed deacons and elders in the Sybill Hopper room. I’ve been scrounging around in my brain for a theme for this get-together, and I’ve settled on this: “Play to your strengths!” Do we, as a body of believers, have weaknesses? The answer is obvious: of course we do. Because we are a small church, we don’t have numbers of people and resources that would allow us to provide more ministry efforts in and around our community. Now, as individuals or as a church, we could all sit around and twiddle our thumbs and lament this sad state of affairs. How well does that work? It doesn’t. How much energy and enthusiasm does that generate? Zip, zero, and nada!




The alternative is to play to our strengths. And right now, I’m looking out at our strength. I’m speaking to our strength. You, animated by the Spirit of Christ Jesus, are the strength. You are a church with unusual, unique, and impressive talent. You are a church with a commitment – both “in season and out of season”, to use a biblical phrase – that holds firm. You’ve weathered some storms, seen some rainbows, and are looking forward to a new day. I think it’s an exciting time to be at First Presbyterian Church. I’ll go so far as to say that Denton and its surrounding area NEEDS First Presbyterian Church. I’m tickled pink to have a part in this church. This congregation represents a refreshing and spiritually healthy alternative to the rigid, cold dogmatism that some independent and denominational churches put forth. On the flip-side, we provide a wholesome and needed alternative to other churches where folks are so open-minded that they’re not really sure what or who they believe in anymore. Stick around First Presbyterian for any length of time, and you begin to see that it’s Jesus Christ, and His good news, and His baptism, and His Supper that carry the day. These are the means; these are the gifts that animate who we are and give direction to where we’re going. Now, if you are a visitor or guest and you want in on this, then it’s time that you and I sit down and have coffee. I can tell you so much more, and I want to hear from you too.


It’s going to be quite a year – for a lot of reasons. One notable reason is that 2012 is an election year, and, folks, we are already bombarded with politics. Every four years or so, we are told by pundits that this is going to be the nastiest election in history. It just may be. Who knows? Of course, the economy weighs heavy on the American mind. We hear about the “haves” and the “have nots” and the “1%” and the “99%”. There are tea parties and occupy movements and “Super PACs” and congressional re-districting – and the list goes on ad nauseum. Whatever your particular political persuasion may be, it’s clear – at least, to me – that we are going to be confronted with two very different views on governing. The disagreements will be sharp; the attacks may be personal; the rhetoric will be hot.


As your pastor, I want you to know that I, too, am going to focus on politics this year. I’m going to zero in like a laser beam on the politics of what St. Augustine once called “The City of God.” At the heart of the word “politics” is the Greek term polis which means “city.” Politics, therefore, has to do with the right ordering of the city. In this case, I speak of the city of God.

The writer to the Hebrews was not talking about Democrats or Republicans. He wasn’t addressing conservatives or liberals. He wasn’t gearing his remarks to political independents or moderates. The writer spoke of the people of God.



The author makes the startling claim that they, the people of God, “…admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have opportunity to return. Instead, they were looking for a better country – a heavenly one. Therefore, God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared for them a city.” My job, therefore, is not to get a voter to the polls. It is to work with you to get another traveler home – to the city of God.



As 2012 unfolds, the psalm appointed for this day offers so much. Earlier this week, the singer Etta James died. It was said that she sang with a “lot of soul.” She put her vocal imprint, for example, on a classic song like “At last, my love has come along. My lonely days are over, and life is like a song.”


Folks, we have minds; we have bodies; we have souls as well. Listen to the opening salvo of our psalm: “Yes, my soul, find rest in God.” I mentioned St. Augustine earlier. He was the one who said: “Our hearts (or souls) are restless until they rest in Thee.” Some people, truth be told, view God as a kind of cosmic cop. He, she, or it is there to “protect and serve.” He’s going to write you a ticket if you do something wrong. If you really mess up, He’ll throw you in jail or send you to hell. Others see God as an invisible Santa Claus who makes a list, checks it twice, and proceeds to find out who is naughty or nice. Still others view God as some sort of “life coach” or “trainer” who works with you so that you may achieve your goals and have your best life now – since it’s all about you.



How very different – wonderfully different – is the view of God put forth in today’s psalm. God is confessed as a place of rest for the soul. It’s time for Scriptural fill in the blank. Ready? “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is … (what)? Weak! That’s right. What if you turn that around? The flesh is willing, but the spirit is weak. Aha! Think about it. If the spirit, if your soul, is weak, it needs rest. In God, with God, your soul gets rested. And folks, “These are the times,” as the famous author said, “that try men’s souls.”


The psalmist, King David, says that his hope comes from God. It doesn’t come from Reagan, Clinton, Mitt, Newt, or Barack. My hope comes from God, says David. “Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.”



What a contrast this is – and a happy contrast at that! – to the viewpoint which says only: “My salvation depends on my 700+ credit rating. My honor depends on getting my candidate elected. My mighty rock is my 401K and my refuge is my home that I hope I can keep paying the mortgage on.”



David says “trust” in God at all times. There’s a difference here. People can go on and on until they’re blue in the face, until they run out of coffee, or until the cows come home that they believe in God. “Oh yes, I believe in God alright.” But the question is, in a world where massive cruise ships list and lives are lost, do you trust God? Do you depend on God? Is it time to start?
The psalmist, King David, sings on: “Surely the lowborn are but a breath, the highborn are but a lie. If weighed on a balance, they are nothing; together they are only a breath.” Who are the “lowborn”? They are those that we today call the have-nots, the poor. Who are the “highborn”? They are those that we today call the haves, the rich. God looks at them all together and weighs them, David says. And it doesn’t amount to this (take a breath and exhale). Whenever the agitations of our economy or the bitterness of our politics or the massive problems at home and abroad bombast your brain and tire your soul, remember Psalm 62 and do this (take a breath and exhale).

King David continues: “Do not trust in extortion or put vain hope in stolen goods; though your riches increase, do not set your heart on them.” This verse, to me, acknowledges that there will be those in the world who do not care who they trample on to achieve their financial goals. They are the social and economic Darwinists for whom the ends justify the means. It’s all about getting ahead, staying ahead, bending the rules and breaking them if you can get away with it. King David is essentially saying that if you do that, you’ll never find rest. Enough will never be enough. You’ll never have contentment.



David concludes: “One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving. Surely you will reward each person according to what He has done.”



Is God strong? My friend, I don’t envision my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as a 98 lb. weakling. Turning water into wine is a trifle for the Son of God and the creator of the universe. Is God loving? The focal point of this sanctuary is your answer. The cross of Jesus Christ shows us all just how loving God is.



God will reward each person, says David, for what he or she has done. For many of the things I’ve done and that you’ve done, God has rewarded us through Jesus Christ and His power and His dying and rising love. And for many other things, God has rewarded us with the joy we have in God, in one another, and in serving both.



2012 is here! Take a generous dose of Psalm 62.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment