A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Friday, March 4, 2011

REMARKS
THE MEMORIAL/RECEPTION FOR KYLE THOMAS
Saturday, March 5, 2011
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Denton, Texas
Rev. Paul R. Dunklau

My name is Paul Dunklau, and I’m the pastor at First Presbyterian Church. I’m sorry I couldn’t be with you this morning, but my attendance is required at a church meeting in Dallas.

I share your appreciation for all that Kyle meant – and will continue to mean – to you, and I likewise share your sorrow. I know you join me in supporting Kyle’s mother, Patricia Parks, and Kyle’s immediate family at this time of loss. Your presence today will give them strength for the days to come.

My Uncle Harold lived in Missouri. He was a great outdoorsman, and fly fishing was his passion. He taught me how to tie a fishing line properly. I’ve never forgotten it. Think, for a moment, about one thing – just one thing that Kyle taught you, said to you, or expressed to you – that helped you along the way, assisted you in seeing the world as it is more clearly. It won’t take long for you to pinpoint something.

I was aware of Kyle’s love for the outdoors. He was a sort of Crocodile Dundee with a Texas twang! On a visit to his home, I wasn’t sure if I was indoors or outdoors! There’s no doubt about it: he provided safe haven for many creatures in the animal kingdom. He enjoyed the vast variety among birds, fishes, frogs, lizards, snakes, cats, dogs – you name it. He taught us all something about how to appreciate – and even care! – for them all.

At the same time, Kyle understood – perhaps better than most – that we live in a fallen world. Whether it be among the animals or the human race, death occurs. Kyle was no stranger to sickness, and, like the great outdoorsman that he was, he battled it with true grit.

And here’s just one more thing: he also knew and believed the basics about faith. Jesus Christ lived in the very world that we all live in. He died a very real death, and He rose again from the grave. What that means is this: death itself will finally be undone and life is the ultimate victory! That’s the quiet confidence and soulfulness that lived in Kyle – even as he took care of all God’s little creatures. Remember that, and, whenever you see a turtle sunning itself at the edge of the pond only to dive under the water, take that as a “wink” from Kyle!

God Bless You All!
Rev. Paul R. Dunklau

No comments:

Post a Comment