A Bit About Me -- with thanks to my stepson, Devin Servis

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Maundy Thursday (04/09/09)

What shall I return to the Lord for all his bounty to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord.


--Psalm 116:12-13




An old hymn comes to mind today:




The Lord hath helped me hitherto


By His surpassing favor;


His mercies ev-'ry morn were new,


His kindness did not waver.


God hitherto hath been my Guide,


Hath pleasures hitherto supplied,


And hitherto hath helped me.




"Hitherto", a term out of circulation these days, basically means "up to this point" -- as in "Up to this point" the Lord has helped me. That I find myself pondering these things and including them in a devotion is proof sufficient. The surpassing favor of God, up to this very day, has provided mercy, kindness, guidance, and pleasure. This is beyond reasonable doubt.


But what shall be the response for all this bounty of the Lord? The psalmist plans to take up the cup of salvation! Here the Lord's Supper comes to mind. Today, Maundy Thursday, commemorates that astounding occasion when Jesus, on the the night before He died, instituted this Sacrament for the health of the soul. Thus, the response to the help of the Lord is to receive yet more love from Him. What a way to live!


Help me henceforth, O God of grace,

Help me on each occasion,

Help me in each and ev-'ry place,

Help me through Jesus' Passion;

Help me in life and death, O God,

Help me through Jesus' dying blood;

Help me as Thou hast helped me!


Amen

PD

No comments:

Post a Comment